New Zealand attendance at international Petanque Tournaments in 2022
As the world opens up after two years (and counting) from the Covid-19 Pandemic, so too has petanque international play. This month PNZ has received notification of two tournaments for New Zealnd representation:
- Oceania Championships, Tahiti (26-29 September). This event includes qualification for the World Championships in 2024. Oceania requires 4 male and 4 female players.
- Men's World championship, Benin. New Zealand has already qualified to attend this tournament. 4 male players required.
Given the short timeframe, and continuing Covid-19 restrictions, it will be logistically difficult to undertake the level of selection process we have adopted before. Nevertheless, PNZ wishes to support NZ international representation again, and is therefore seeking expressions of interest from players who would be keen to participate within the following abridged process.
The abridged process below is applicable to 2022 international representation only. It is anticipated that in 2023 we will be able to resume the standard process.
Step One – Expressions of Interest
Note: Deadline for response is 4pm Friday, 15 April 2022
PNZ seeks Expressions of Interest (EOI). Players to respond via email to this notice, confirming their interest for one or both tournaments.
Email responses to firstname.lastname@example.org required by 4pm Friday, 15 April 2022.
Player eligibility is per the standard PNZ rules, especially that you:
- Are a financial member of a petanque club affiliated to Petanque New Zealand
- Are a permanent New Zealand resident; hold a permanent resident visa; or have resided in NZ for a minimum of 12 months
- Have no active ban or suspension in place.
- Have a national ranking and have finished in the top 8 in at least two of the National Singles, Doubles, Triples, Mixed Doubles in 2020-2022
All players will:
- Need to comply with all Covid-19 related restrictions in effect within the country at the time
- Cover all their own costs associated with either trip – notwithstanding any fund raising events organised by players etc.
Note: PNZ reserves the right to not send any player.
Step Two – Selection
If there are more eligible players interested than required, due to the short time frame and logistics of holding selection camps, PNZ proposes to establish a selection committee to select the teams.
Selection will be based on previous results, representation, rankings and specialist position.
Ideally, we would also seek EOI for selectors. However, in this instance a more timely, pragmatic approach has been chosen and the selectors are:
- Michael Emerson – Auckland based and has international experience as Coach and is an active player
- Neville Frost – South island based - former PNZ Coaching Manager and is an active player who has represented NZ internationally.
The teams selected will be announced after the National Club Championships, i.e., mid-May 2022.
Please advise your interest by emailing email@example.com by 15 April 2022.