Tournaments Available for Representation
It is expected that NZ will participate in the below events during this time period. Other events may be added to the list dependent on invitations, e.g. Australian Open, Malaysian Open, Pan Pacific Championship.
|Trans Tasman, Herne Bay||6 Women, 6 Men||18-19 March 2023|
|Men's World Championship, Benin||4 Men||September 2023|
|Singles/Doubles/Mixed Doubles World Championships, Benin||2 Women, 2 Men||September 2023|
Note: A date and venue for the next Women's World Championship has not been announced.
Players who register for the Open Representation squad or are invited into the squad by the Selectors must:
- Be a New Zealand citizen or hold a permanent resident visa.
- Be financial members of a petanque club affiliated to Petanque New Zealand for a minimum of 12 months prior to selection
- Have participated in a minimum of two National Championships in the previous 12 months.
- Have finished in the top 8 in at least two of the National Singles, Doubles, Triples, Mixed Doubles or NZ Open Triples in 2020-2022. For the Women players a top 4 finish in the National Women's Triples in the same timeframe may be included.
- Accept that Selector's decisions are final. There is no appeal process.
- Agree to abide by the PNZ player Code of Conduct at all times.
The Open representation in New Zealand operates on a single squad with approximately 12 Men and 12 Women.
Entry into a squad
There are several ways a person can enter a training squad:
- Register their interest in national selection by completing the registration form. There is no charge for registration.
- The Selectors may invite players into the representation process as they deem appropriate. The player must still complete the registration form.
Commitment required by all players in the squad
- Engage in an approved ongoing mentoring/coaching/training programme with the designated coach.
- Be willing to take direction from the coach appointed to the squad.
- To complete all training exercises requested by the coaches.
- Attend any Tournament selection camps if selected to attend.
Commitment required by players if selected to a New Zealand team
- Be available for team training as prescribed by the team coach.
- Comply with the PNZ player Code of Conduct and alcohol and drug policies.
- Stay with the team as directed by the PNZ appointed team manager.
- Be prepared to pay all costs associated with travel, accommodation and food where required.
- Provide evidence of travel arrangements to the team manager or coach at least one month ahead of the tournament.
- Coaches may require NZ teams to play together in specific tournament(s) or specific combinations prior to the International event they have been selected for.
- Any breach of any of these commitments may lead to the removal of the player from the selected team.
PNZ commitment to players
- Provide selectors who do not have a conflict of interest with anyone in the category they are selecting from and who will adhere to PNZ's process and time lines.
- Provide scorers trained in the PNZ scoring method for the selection process
- Appoint a coach and/or manager for teams as appropriate.
- Advise selected and non-selected candidates by phone on a specified day.
- Provide all players with a full PNZ uniform on their first year of representation and replace items as required. (See the Uniform Policy)
PNZ aims to provide as fair and cost-effective process as possible while choosing the best representative teams possible. We recognise there are many aspects involved in being a good representative player. Apart from the obvious technical skills and experience, a player must have:
- a strategic understanding of the game.
- good current form.
- the ability to take direction.
- good communication with, and a professional attitude to, both other players and officials.
- the ability to work as a team.
- commitment to the process.
- an ongoing desire to strive for continual improvement in their game.
All of these factors will be considered when choosing NZ representative teams.
Our aim is to be as transparent as possible, but many of the above factors are not easily quantifiable, so there will always be a subjective element to selection.
Entry into the Trans Tasman Selection Camp and Team Selection
Depending on the number of players who register for selection, the selectors may need to limit numbers to attend the selection camp. If numbers are to be limited, all members of the squad will be notified of their position by 31 October 2022.
The Trans Tasman assessment/selection camp will be held at Herne Bay on 26-27 November 2022.
Selection will be based on performance over the two days of assessment. Trained scorers will be used by selectors to provide information on how players are performing in their selected positions and all aspects of play will be observed by the selectors throughout the assessment period.
Once selection of a team has been finalised players will be notified whether they have been successful or not. It is expected that all players will be notified of the 2022 Trans-Tasman teams by phone by 18 December 2022.
Coaches and Selectors
Tiki Ruta and Michael Emerson will be co-coaces for the Open Representative squad.
Additional Selectors are to be appointed.
Time line for Representation Process
|16 September 2022||Information distributed|
|8 October 2022||Applications close|
|26-27 November 2022||Open Selection camp - Herne Bay|
|18 December 2022||Trans-Tasman teams announced|